Thursday, September 8, 2011

46 hours and counting

Today was a good day!  Yesterday I'm not sure I had a single conversation about these beautiful kids without crying.  They've had ups and downs and the only thing that we've been assured is certain, is that the rollacoaster ride is only just beginning.  Adelaide is demonstrating the most stability at the moment; though last night she was given only a 30% chance to survive the night.  Wyatt has had a less volatile existence to date but is currently requiring more oxygen and to remain within the ranges of safe O2 saturations in the blood.

This first phase has been, primarily, about there lungs and their fragility, and they will continue to be an emphasis going forward, but as hours move on their is going to be increased focus on brain development, cardiac function and "gut" function.  We've been told that often times in babies this premature that the gut can often cause the biggest problem, that is more qualitative than quantitative I believe, but never-the-less provides us some perspective about what the future holds.  We've been blessed to have all of your prayers and Adelaide and Wyatt will continue to need them going forward.

I want to thank everyone for the phone calls, text messages, facebook posts, and emails of encouragement as well as the 100's who have prayed for Wyatt and Adelaide's safety and Rachel's recovery.  I think God finds it necessary to challenge us to give us the opportunity to see the world as he sees it and to put are priorities in order.  I don't know what the future holds but I've already been humbled like never before.  Those that know me, know that I have struggled with humility, mercy, optimism, kindness and patience.  I haven't been someone who vocally professed my faith in Jesus as my Lord and Savior or always lived a life that would have distinguished me as Christian.  I'm apologizing for that now in as public a way as I can, specifically to all those who I have wronged along the way.  One thing I've learned in 46 hours that Wyatt and Adelaide have been alive is that every life is precious and that life is something so fragile it that should never be taken for granted. I've allowed my pride or jealousy to guide my actions many times in my life and haven't valued others like I should have.  Remember to tell the ones you love that you love them, remember that your actions will often speak louder than you words, and remember no matter where you are in your life God has plan for us all and he loves us each infinitely.

I promise not to be so sappy in all of the posts and to devote this blog fully to updates on the lives of Wyatt and Adelaide but there were some things that had bubbled to the surface during this short time that I felt like I needed to say.  Your support during this time has already meant more than you will ever know, your prayers are all that we have for the twins and they've responded today to please please continue.  Rachel has recovered beautifully and should be ready to go home Sunday, the twins will be here for several more weeks, but with each passing hour move closer to living long and happy lives.  There recovery has as much to do with you as anything, I truly believe that and will never forget the debt I owe so many that I may have never even met.  May God Bless each and every one of you for the way you have blessed and supported my family.

No comments:

Post a Comment